.

05 September 2008

I was here ... Where were you?

I've seen this meme twice now (Norm and Thoughtful Dresser) so I thought I'd best get my two cents in


Princess Diana's death - 31st August 1997
I'd just given birth, a month before, to my oldest daughter. I was living in Michigan with my grandmother, waiting to come over to Belgium to join my now ex-husband (who is British). It was Grandma who had the TV on and saw the news first. I can't remember if it was morning or afternoon.... With the newborn in the house, we were both in a perpetual daze. So we sat in the living room, glued to the news coverage, taking turns rocking the baby.


Margaret Thatcher's Resignation - 22nd November 1990
I have no recollection of this event. I was probably at work in my first job out of college. Margaret Thatcher was totally off of my radar.

Attack on the Twin Towers - 11 September 2001
In Brussels, Belgium. Around 3 in the afternoon I went to collect the girls from school. The uncle of one of their school friends, who I knew fairly well, was there too. He said, 'An airplane has crashed into the World Trade Center in New York.' I said, 'What???' I didn't believe him. Also we were speaking in French so I thought I'd heard wrong. He said, 'When you go home, turn on the news.' Well of course I did and then didn't stop watching the news for the next 6 weeks....

England's World Cup Semi-Final against Germany - 4 July 1990

Since it was 4th of July I was probably at a barbecue or fireworks in Michigan. But did I know this world cup was going on? (Cf above, Margaret Thatcher, 'totally off of my radar'...)

President Kennedy's Assassination - 22 November 1963
This one really shows up the ol' generation gap... I wasn't born yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment