.

02 September 2008

That Creativity Thing

Great post today from Alice at Finslippy about the dark side of the writing life.... And any other creative endeavour, actually.

I'm putting Art and Fear (which she mentions in there) on my book-wish-list. It will join The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp, which I've been wanting for several months.

Happily, I've been busy writing the past two weeks due to having made a schedule and then sticking to it. I've been able to write for at least an hour a day. This week the schedule's a little out the window because of "la rentrée". But that's temporary.

The other thing I found has helped enormously is keeping track of my word count. This didn't matter so much when I was writing a lot of poetry. But with prose.... There's no sense of accomplishment when you're in the middle of a long short story or anything even longer. Keeping track of the numbers shows that yes, I am making progress. And it is a simple, non-distracting procedure: I simply record the latest word count in the back of my journal, when I'm done for the day. OK, so the other day I made a chart in Excel with the data. But that's about the end of the distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment