.

22 January 2009

Post-fever musings

One of the best things I've ever done by accident was to lose the internet connection on the PC where I do my writing. It's a wee bit inconvenient sometimes (for example I have to blog from my daughter's computer, with its azerty keyboard), but most of the time I am glad to not have the temptation of the internet at hand. No spur of the moment 'research' involving Facebook. No losing myself in tangents on Wikipedia for an hour. I'm not about to go back to typewriting but I definitely appreciate the separation of technologies.

Saw a story in The Times that said Obama would be the first president to use a Blackberry and email routinely.   Can this be true? Was GB so out of touch with reality? And what about other world leaders? You can't run a household without these things these days.  How do they get away with it?



I officially have a virus. This doctor-speak for 'sorry, we can't help'. I have slept for more hours today than I have been awake. But that's not all! I also have a minor injury. I cut off the tip of my index finger while chopping leeks yesterday.


Cooking -- now that'll learn me. I cut the nail right through, and some layers of skin. The doctor said it was "a very clean wound." We pondered the fact that there was no need for stitches, because there was nothing to stitch up... I'd picked up the little piece of myself off the cutting board. It was a little like 'Blue Velvet'.

But let me tell you, it hurts like hell, especially if I try to use the finger. I'm waiting till tomorrow to resume cello practise. In the meantime I am sporting pink Barbie band-aids.

What's that Sylvia Plath poem? "Oh, what fun, my finger instead of an onion" ... Well, she would say that, wouldn't she. 




2 comments:

  1. Oh I sliced the top of my finger off too, 2 christmasses ago, whilst preparing a stirfry for a pot-luck. it took about two months, back the damn nail grew back completely intact. Marvellous our ability to self heal. I almost made a hash job of patching it. But in the end I went to Walgreens, bought some gauze and let the blood cake over it. No washing up without gloves for a while.

    ReplyDelete