.

29 January 2009

Tricks


I'm getting my groove back and man! it feels good!

I haven't known what to do with myself since submitting, last week, the story I've been working on more or less for the past 6 months. I was glad to have been able to submit it, because I really thought for a minute there that I couldn't, because it was utter shite. But then I saw how it might not be shite after all, that it might just work, and it's a shame that I was so close to it that I just couldn't tell anymore. And now it's gone, sent off, good-bye, and I'm relieved. Ta-ta, little story. Go off and see if you can make your own friends in the world! Maybe you will, and maybe you won't. Let me know, will ya?

And then the empty space opened up, and I fell in. What was I going to work on? What would consume my thoughts now? It's been strange because, since I really started writing about 8 years ago, I have never been at a loss for material or ideas, and always have had a couple of things at least that I wanted to "get to". But not this time. And on top of it all there was life, and life stuff, and I couldn't seem to get a grip, and I didn't want to read, and nothing appealed... It was a real loss of literary appetite.

So what to do when this happens? Well I tried the usual tricks:
  • No writing -- leave it completely (That was OK for the weekend)
  • Journal -- just freewrite and freewrite
  • Walk as much as possible
  • Spy on other people as much as possible
  • Do yoga
  • Practice cello
  • Treat self to Perle Noire coffee
And I have to tell you that... it works. All the tricks work! Not overnight, not immediately, no lightning bolts, but.... Something started to trickle, very slowly, into the empty space. A small but steady trickle. And I started thinking, "well, maybe there's something I want to do... Something I can work on. Yeah, why don't I take a look?" So I took a look and I thought, "hey, that's not too bad. I can work with this"... And then, this morning, I worked with it and ....

It feels good!

And I am not going to ruin it all by asking myself lots of secondary questions. You know the ones. The primary point, first principles if you will, is to be writing. That's all I'm going to concern myself with for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment