.

01 April 2009

We need to talk about work

I never talk about work. Why don't I talk about work? I mean work, like for-a-living work. Not work like, shop-cook-clean-look after-tidy-feed-clothe cum taxi driver-social coordinator-homework overseer-personal development developer cum oh yeah my own personal dreams and goals work. I'll tell you why I never post about work. Simple. I am ashamed of my job, bored with my job, and frustrated because I need a job; and this particular job is flexible, part-time and close enough to walk to. I don't earn a lot and I don't take work home and no one calls me after hours and my brain is never taxed. There is not a lot of corporate-type BS. However, on the flip side, there is no room here for advancement; I'm not really part of a team anymore (as opposed to when I first started), and ... ahem ... my brain is never taxed. It would be nice if it was for a change! I know I need to do something else but to honest, I don't know what to do. I still need that basic flexibility and proximity to home/school. I'm starting to hate being in an office. Lately I fantasize about waiting tables, running a bakery, working in a bookshop, being a dogwalker. These all have a physical element... and also all a component of immersion in the immediate: a task at hand to be done, you put on the apron and start to do it.

My parents (sorry parents, but this is true) enjoy a certain amount of schadenfreude from my lack of career development. This is because I have always believed it possible to like what you do for a living, and for one's work to be meaningful. For them, they've made it clear, work is just work. So now I've got my comeuppance, ho ho ho... But actually my beliefs haven't changed in the slightest.

I'm starting only now to consider what I want to do. I never addressed this question before in a meaningful way. Like maybe most people do, say, in their 20s. Alas, I am a late bloomer, through and through. So what do I want to do? I don't know. What am I good at? Hm, let's see.... Baking cupcakes. Reading. Writing. Simple math. Standing on my head. Giving directions (to people who are lost on the street). Pretending to look busy, in front of a computer.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of soul searching going on in Belgium!!

    ReplyDelete