.

19 June 2009

A little over-optimistic with the word count

Three weeks into my "game plan" and I am having to revise some expectations.

The goal I set for myelf, each week, was to do 300 words each day, Mon-Fri, for a total of 1500 per week on my novel-in-progress (oh doesn't that sound grand!). I figured whatever I didn't manage Mon-Thurs I could make up on Friday.

Oops.

I have been doing between 100 and 150 Mon-Thurs. I think most of this is quality and won't be jettisoned when editing later. How do I know this? Because before, I was fooling around, making notes, asking "what if" and "what if then". It was easy to rack up the words doing that! But now I have to actually write a scene and it is hard! It is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I don't know why. It's like wading in taffy. Hence the taffy-wade word count... it is moving veeeerrrry slooooooowly.

I'm reducing expectations because otherwise, I'll be too discouraged. Already I see my weekly targets mounting, and the actuals lagging.

So now I am going for 150 words a day, Mon-Thurs. On Friday I will go for 500. That makes a new total of 1100 per week.

By the time I go on my course in November, I should have about 15,000 words (factoring in the school holidays, of course, when word count will plummet to 0).

But who knows. Maybe I'll get faster. That would be something.

2 comments:

  1. I give you all the credit in the word for pushing forward on your writing! It sounds tough. and you need self-motivation which I think is even tougher!! Don't give up. I want to see your work one day...I would love to read a novel by you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty motivated, just not sure what I'm doing. I'm going to take it step by step... Thanks for being so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete