.

02 June 2009

May Stats

Et voila, May's writing calendar, in all its statistical glory.

All in all, I have to say, it has been a pretty good month. I had a breakthrough and consequently made a submission I am very pleased with. I worked on poetry a lot, which is hard to quantify. I once went on a writing retreat at Arvon with a lot of novel writers. In fact all of them were writing novels except me. They would sit around and talk about their word counts. I'd joke with them by saying, 'Yeah, I cut 3 this morning....'

I also did some math and came up with a plan to help me write the fiction, which doesn't come as easily as the poetry. Ironically I hadn't been writing much poetry, so I thought out most of a plot for a novel, and now that it comes time to write the darn thing, back again comes the poetry! But I will not turn down the poetry muse when she visits -- that's a cardinal rule -- so she's going to share a room with a daily word count, 5 days a week. I am looking at going on an Arvon course in November, to help with the novel, and my goal is to have 25,000 words by the time I get there. I've allowed for holidays and visits from the parents and if I keep it up, it's a feasible goal.

I fully expect to cut half at least later, but for now the point is to generate, no internal editor, no internal censor.

PS TO VIEW CALENDAR: Use blue bar to move horizontally. To scroll, simply put cursor over calendar and use that scrolly-wheel thingy on your mouse.

4 comments:

  1. can't see the calendar - any nap days? :-)

    Great job on the submission, something to be very proud of!

    I hope Arvon happens for you and that you will be able to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try again with the map.... No nap days, I've been on the ball !

    ReplyDelete
  3. can only see part of the first week.
    I guess when you have something important to do, naps dont happen.
    Since I have nothing important to do today, I will be napping shortly. :-)
    I really need to get motivated to accomplish some tasks!!!!
    The kids are on half days and will be home in 3 1/2 hours. Thursday is their last 1/2 day. Cant believe school is ending already. It went by way too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. never mind on the calendar comment... I can see the whole thing now.

    what is a self motivation exercise?

    ReplyDelete