.

10 June 2009

Your bum looks big in that sonnet

What goes on inside poetry editors’ heads? asks Very Like a Whale. It's a question I often ponder, when I'm about to make a submission. I detest making submissions; for me it's the poet's equivalent of the bathing suit competition. My rejection letters reflect this:

Dear Ms Cook,

We regret that at this time, we cannot publish your poems. Best of luck with your writing career. By the way, your bum looks big in that sonnet.

Anyway.

Check out Very Like a Whale's series showcasing a diverse group of poetry editors, who give the skinny what they do, how they do it, and what they'd like to see from you. (via Blotting Paper)

4 comments:

  1. It is a fascinating series. Thought you might enjoy this quote.
    "We recall, with regret, that Napoleon once shot at a magazine editor and missed him and killed a publisher. But we remember with charity that his intentions were good.” Mark Twain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, "Does this sonnet make my butt look big?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should lose a couplet?

    ReplyDelete