photo from epicurious.
1 whole chicken for roasting
2 tbsps olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 bay leaves, chopped
1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed
1 lemon, whole
Salt, paprika, and pepper, to taste
6 small slices of butter
½ cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Trim any excess skin and fat from the chicken, particularly around the opening to the cavity. Ensure the cavity is empty and wash the chicken.
- Spread the olive oil around the base of a roasting pan. Place the chicken on top of the oil.
- Rub ½ of each of the chopped garlic and bay leaves, along with the crushed chicken cube around the cavity. Insert the whole lemon.
- Pour the white wine over the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle salt, paprika and pepper, along with the remaining garlic and bay leaves over the top of the chicken.
- Place the small slices of butter, at various locations, on the outside of the chicken, for example in the areas between the breasts and the wings, and between the drumsticks and the thighs, and on top of the breasts.
- Cook for 1 hour and then turn the chicken over and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
Catch up with Odete, Jacqueline and a Little Bit of Hope:
Chapter One, part one
Chapter One, continued
And by the way, Happy Thanksgiving! We're not celebrating until Sunday so we can sit down and eat all afternoon, but with any luck there'll be a photo or two of, hopefully, the turkey.