.

30 August 2010

Sun in a cup

I promised Jane I would start posting my lunch again so here you are:


I am calling this Sun in a Cup because there was no sun anywhere else in our fair city today. But it is really carrot soup spiked with fresh summer tomatoes. I used red tomatoes but if you use yellow ones the colour will be even more golden and sunshiney.

For a small batch I use: 250g/1/2lb each carrots and tomatoes, half an onion or two thin leeks (white parts only), 1 liter of stock (maybe 4 cups? you'll have to see if that's too much), a couple of stalks of celery and a couple of twigs of parsley (whole). Chop the onions/leeks and celery and sauté in butter on lowish heat for 10-15 minutes (you don't want to burn them, just soften them up). Add chopped carrots and peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes, sauté for a few more minutes. Then cover with the stock, tossing in a parsley. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 30 minutes, or enough to soften the carrots. Blend when it's cool enough to work with, using all or not-all of the stock to achieve your desired thickness. Salt and pepper should be enough to bring out the flavour of summer-fresh ingredients!

1 comment: