.

30 November 2010

Day 30: I choose paper, thank you very much (and: the Winners Circle)


I have a terrible cold and want to just lie prone in bed sniffing Olbas Oil, but I want to take a moment to thank all the Winners who supported my NaNoWriMo with their wallets: Jon, Robert, Andrea, JoAnne, Rebekah, Martin, Mom & Dad and my lovely Lichfield. Together we raised $330 for creative writing programs and resources for kids and teachers everywhere. Whether writing a novel is your dream or not, you've helped make somebody's day in a tangible way. Thank you, Winners Circle!*

Some people are hugely negative about those who do NaNoWriMo. There was even a piece in this weekend's Sunday Times, which is pretty lame of the Times considering it ran the piece two days before NaNo ended. Personally, I don't understand it. I'm not a novel writer by nature. I love books, but when I first started writing I had no idea what I wanted to write. I thought I should write a novel, but that was not where inclination or disposition led me. Nonetheless in the past ten years I've tried many different forms of this art, and eventually approached the novel. Not because I dream of my name on a paperback, but because of ideas for long works of prose that just won't go away. It's either keep hearing voices in my head, or get them onto paper. And I choose paper, thank you very much...

But I would probably not have pushed myself to finish a rough draft of this story if NaNoWriMo hadn't reared its little head. I could have gone on quite happily scribbling bits and pieces, and thinking I'd get to it later. So I am very very pleased that I have done this. Is it a finished novel? No. Is it ready to the point of querying agents? No. But could it be, with a lot more work? Yes. So there. That's what I wanted to get out of this month, and to the nay-sayers of the universe, I say, "See you at my book-signing, baby!"



*PS If you still want to donate, it is not too late: go to my fundraising page, and work your magic.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I can't believe you did it. That's a hella of a lot of words.

    ReplyDelete