.

19 November 2010

Sponsor me and support creative writing programs worldwide! (and make me smile)

I was all set to publish a post about how bleak things are looking. I am down on my word count, me and the girls still need to eat, and Helsinki's wallet was stolen (at school, by bastards) so there are trips to the police and the town hall and transit authorities to replace her ID and bus pass. It's busy at the office and I for some reason thought it would be fun to have Thanksgiving dinner this weekend, and even though it's a pot luck I'm doing the turkey and a pie and gravy.

But who needs to read a post like that? I'm in the 30,000s of my NaNoWriMo word count in spite of everything, which is more than halfway through, and learning a lot and loving my own personal blend of Illy espresso and Jacqmotte Moka Absolut. Aaaaah. But wait, there's more.


 I've discovered that there's a sponsorship option and have decided to sign myself up. If runners can do it for charity, so can writers. The organization that runs NaNoWriMo is called the  Office of Letters and Light, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charity. Donations to the Office of Letters and Light help bring free creative writing programs for kids and adults in over 500 cities and towns, 3,000 classrooms, and 200 libraries every year.This is worldwide, not just in America. To learn more about where donations go, look here. So if you'd like the cheer me up and cheer me on to the 50,000 word finish line, please go to my NaNoWriMo fundraising page and make even a teensy donation. For those of you here on the Euro side of the pond, the exchange rate against the dollar is in your favour! So no excuses!


The idea of raising just a couple hundred dollars for a good cause has brighten my day considerably. If you decide to contribute it's tax deductible and you and I and everyone who goes to my fundraisising page will know what a good person you are.  And I will thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!




image credits 1 and 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment