.

29 September 2011

Boldy going where I have not gone before...


Wheee... I just uploaded my first assignment for my Poetry School course, a completely on-line course taught by Katharine Towers. Not only have I never taken an on-line course before (we meet every two weeks in a chat forum thingy, drop into the forums to see what's going on in between times, get assignments through a special website), but I have never taken a poetry course before. I've done workshops but nothing like this, with theory and everything... with other people who are also interested in things like the music of words and the science of the sense of sound (see here for example) and willing to put time and money into the experience. 

I'm kind of worried how I'm going to hole up on Tuesday evenings for two hours right around dinner time, but will deal with that later.

I'm going to take a moment instead to plug The Poetry School because I think it's worth it. Originating in London, the PS was founded in 1997 by Mimi Khalvati, Jane Duran and Pascale Petit with the aim of providing structured, high quality teaching programmes for adults to develop their poetry. Check it out, poets!

And because I now work with foundations, I'm also going to praise the Poetry School's funders: Arts Council England, the Garfield Weston Foundation, the Garrick Trust and the Granada Foundation, as well as its programming partners: the Bluecoat arts centre, Cadaverine Magazine, the Poetry Book Society, Waterloo Quarter, the Wordsworth Trust and Writers' Centre Norwich. These courses don't cost an arm and a leg and I am very very very grateful for it!




No comments:

Post a Comment