.

19 October 2011

Consommé

Time is getting away from me. I'm still getting my 5-minutes-at-least with my notebook on a bench, but haven't reported anything here - for example, how the online course is going. I will try to do that soon. For some reason consommé caught my imagination this morning, so I have had a pot of beef and chicken simmering all afternoon. Why? I really don't know. For something that just sits and boils it's making quite a mess. The skimming and straining are not to be underestimated.

However, it does smell terrific.

Meanwhile, I am preparing some pumpkin sauce in advance for a lasagne.  I've just spent the better part of one hour seeding, peeling, and chopping pumpkin into 3 cm cubes. The recipe claimed to be easy. Someone needs to clarify "easy". Simple? - yes. Rudimentary? - yes. Tedious? - beyond belief. I don't think I'll be doing pumpkin again in a while.

Check back later for the results - one more straining through the muslin for the broth, and then it sits through the night so I can skim off the fat in the morning. Fingers crossed. The pumpkin sauce is simmering away very nicely. At last. And now it's time for a glass of wine to get me through the dirty dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment