.

04 April 2014

"I came there at noon. That is, I came somewhere at noon, but I wasn't sure where."

This version of the map of Gethen is copyright © 2009 by Milan Dubnicky, the cartographer. source

 Only two more weeks to go with my MOOC course. I'm still in there, I'm a survivor!  It's a great course -- hard work, reading and writing every week, but if you're at all interested in fantasy and sci fi check it out.  I'm getting a little tired of writing formulaic, 300-word "the significance of item X in  book Z" essays, but I can cope, I hope.  (Comment from last week's peer review: "The inclusion of your psychological state during the writing is engaging, but not exactly enlightening." Oh well - nothing like a shedding another layer of ego!)  Last week we read Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles; this week the assigned test is Ursula K LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness. Having never read either previously, I feel the world has just opened up in whole new directions. We always must read broadly and this is why. I don't know why it took me so long to come to science fiction as an adult reader, but there you go. LeGuin is my new hero. There's a Paris Review "Art of Fiction" interview with her here.  The quote in this post's title is from Left Hand of Darkness. It pretty much sums up how I feel about 90% of the time....

No comments:

Post a Comment